Friday, April 11, 2008

Going to Israel...


So, I've decided to go to Israel for six weeks this summer. Well, hopefully it was God's decision. I'm pretty sure that it was, based on circumstances and the desire of my heart. For those of you who don't know, I went to India two years ago and have been wanting to go back ever since then. Last fall I began looking for ways that I could get back there. I looked at a lot of different organizations and I found one called pioneers. I agreed with their heart and strategy for missions and I really felt like I would be able to connect with them. After applying and being accepted to go to India with this organization, the trip was cancelled. If you want to know why...I don't know. I'm not always the most inquisitive person. I'm not much on questioning people. Sometimes thats a strength and sometimes its a weakness, but anyhow, I don't know why they cancelled the trip. They just did.


They offered me a couple of other options...one of which was a trip to Israel.


My heart is still burdened for India...to go there and love the people. I really really long to go back to the Mother Teresa home and hold those kids again. My heart breaks for them and I just want to be with them. I felt Jesus there in such a strong way. It is one of the hardest and best places that I have ever been on this earth.


So, although my desire to go to India has not decreased AT ALL, I have felt God leading me towards Israel since spring break. Over the break I began reading a book by a girl who after being an orthodox Jew for a few years was drawn to Jesus by His great and persistant mercy and love. I have learned so much from this book and it has put a hunger in me to know more about the history and perspective of the Jewish people...after all, Jesus was Jewish. Maybe I'll tell you more about that later, but back to how I decided to go to Israel.


The weeks just before and after I was offered the opportunity to travel to Israel, Alan, one of the worship interns, was teaching the worship community group about the things he learned from a recent trip to Israel. My sister had a dream in which 1492 and the Promise Land were significant...1492 made her think about Columbus, who as I recall was trying to sail to India but didn't quite make it because there was another stop along the way. And Psalm 149:2 says, "Let Israel rejoice in their Maker; let the people of Zion be glad in their King."


All of that confirmation, combined with the peace in my heart (which I believe is the most key element in the leading of the Holy Spirit) led me to my decision. I'm am very excited. I am so thankful for God's guidance and leading. He was so good in directing me and giving me peace. I feel like there is SO MUCH for me to learn on this trip. I don't know who I'll be going with or what we will be doing exactly, but I just feel like there is going to be so much to soak up.


Please pray for me! Pray that my heart will be ready for whatever God has in store. This was a quick decision and if I think about it too deeply it seems kind of crazy. But I believe He led me here, so please pray that I'm prepared. Thank You!!!!!!!


No comments: